Sunday, March 12, 2017

Unit: El Valor de la Idea


Our textbook, Imagina, has a chapter called El Valor de la Idea
I took this opportunity to show how groups have been able to overcome and work in solidarity.
I was able to get some inspiration from Kristy Placido, Srta Dentlinger and Martina Bex as well as my colleagues as this is a college-credit bearing class and I got to work with a group for planning.

Here's my planning for this this:




Day 1: Human Rights

1.  Grammar point
I introduced with some grammar notes and practice.  I don't do a lot, but my students feel that they need some in order to monitor themselves and to improve, so I oblige.  I select small points that are not overall time frames (they've learned most of them in previous years, not that they can control them).  So I decided to use subjuntive with volition.

2. We worked with the meaning of human rights by using the es.wiki definition and their background knowledge.
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derechos_humanos
3. I gave them a presentation about rights around the world that are violated and they took notes to use for their evaulation.
4.  Ha!  Their evaluation was a kahoot jumbo...using grammar and the violations.  They played it 3 times and they told me they were thinking about the Spanish..not just trying to get me to eat up time playing a game!
https://create.kahoot.it/#jumble/18970a98-6e9c-464a-870a-69c2f61a9bdd
I also did white boards with a class who worked faster.
5. ticket to leave:  write about one thing you learned today

Day 2: Problemas Mundiales
I started right away with my interpretive IPA.  I had used this song and article last year, but I really needed to re-think my goal.  Why was I having them read this article?  What knowledge did I want them to walk away with and use later in the unit?  So my form was a bit different this year, though I did rely on the ACTFL interpretive template.  I was happy with my changes because by the end of the unit, students were able to reference it.  I will also acknowledge that I tweaked the #authres simply because I took two different #authres and combined them because I wanted to include the song.

Since students finish at different rates, I had them go to our LMS to watch the video and do a couple of activities with it. I had them identify which problems were visually shown in the video (using same options as their reading).


When the finished, they got to make a word wall of essential vocabulary for this unit.  I do use a guiding sheet for each unit as I recognize they still feel the need for that crutch.  It's pretty basic.






Day 3: Art:  Guernica
1. Review Spain Civil War:
-students visit sites around room to take notes...only 8 minutes total
-teacher presentation:  ppt to review and use popsicle sticks to answer questions (insight from notes)
2. Guernica:  study Pablo Picasso's reaction via art
-partners receive a description (I did give in English because they'll be working in presentational mode), provide a visual representation of the section they are describing & present symbolism to class
-follow-up WS
3.  Oral Evaluation:  Spain, Art (minuto de charla explained in previous post)

Day 4: Desaparecidos
warm-up in our LMS:  http://www.desaparecidos.org/arg/victimas/muro2.html

(videos on my youtube list below)
Stations:
1: Reading & guide:  Chile dictatorship
2: Video & puzzle:  Campaña Nulidad Ley de Caducidad 1
3: Video & cozy fit:  Día Nacional del Derecho a la Identidad - Canal Pakapaka
4: article, mixed up lyrics song, guide:  Mexico Ruben  Blades desapariciones
5: video w guide: antes y ahora fotos
WS
key
stations
Writing Evaluation (on-demand):  Describe what a "desaparecido" is and what is refers to.  Explain the connection to different governments around the world.  What actions have taken place to stop this?

Day 5: Corrupt leaders
1. Use warm-up and meme to intro
2. Intro Dominican Republic location:  will watch movie to determine corrupt leader
use pics to make predictions
3. start movie and do WS





Day 6:
1. finish movie
2. discuss to process
3. oral evaluation:  use computers to record themselves describing the movie
(this is my opportunity to use the rubric to give them feedback)

Day 7: Solidaridad
Reviewing on of the stations yesterday, the students were introduced to the abuelas de la plaza de mayo.
Martina Bex has some great stuff
Then my students made their own protest posters.  They were using volition in a natural context.

Day 8: Efectos de la corrupcion
Our text book uses the cortometraje El Ojo en la Nuca for this unit which was a nice fit.  We spent the full block with this including pre and post activities and dialogue.

Day 9:  Ciudadano del Mundo
After talking about these problems, I wanted to talk about the concept of being a world citizen.
I defined it.
We played Quizlet live.
We talked about how to take on that role and used a spot campaign for it.
Canción Anuncio San Miguel 2012: CIudadanos de un lugar llamado mundo.

Day 10:  Guest speaker
To step back and think about helping others, I wanted students to think about helping in our back yard as well.  I brought in a guest speaker from the migrant ed office at our local university who spoke in Spanish about what their office does.  I'm not sure about you...but I get a little nervous with guest speakers.  I lose control and don't like it.  But she did great, she shared interesting information, spoke clearly and the students had questions to ask her.

Day 11:  Intro our final project.  We talked about the different campaigns and slogans we had seen over the unit in warm-up:

This is presentational format, so I expected a rough draft.  They made a powerpoint (working individually) to record themselves speaking which would serve as their proposal to the team.

Reflection:
My final project was a miss.  I should have capitalized on my guest speaker more.  I wasn't really sure what to anticipate about what she'd share with us.  But my project should have been to use the specifics she shared with us and the students make a PSA for our community to help the migrant ed office.

I realize I didn't fit in an assessment of their interpersonal skills.  Next unit!

Overall, the students really liked the unit though they found it sad.  We discussed how we can't be naive to the things that happen in this world.

I could see this working well with both easy readers Felipe Alou and La Guerra Sucia.  They won't be possibilities for me as my hands are tied in the curriculum and the text book!

I wanted to bring in two other themes, but felt that I couldn't prolong this unit any more. We ended up with a snow day which cut into my time
-Cuba current events
-poem La tinta mejor which would nicely support Cuba.


Weekly homework choice:
Youtube music playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvniFAxWXOht1YJXsP-hg-TGI16LpOpnq







No comments:

Post a Comment