I wanted to make this unit to align with the PERSPECTIVES of Day of Dead. For the last few years, it was on family traditions, but we wanted to tweak this to give the students more to talk about in their final interviews.
Overall plan: Perspectivos de Muerte
- Vamos a Morir (movie talk and song analysis)
- Holiday Comparison (show clip from El Libro de Vida)
- Art: Jose Guadalupe Posada (IPA reading)
- Cemeteries (stations, including a chat station with teacher)
- Ofrenda (lots of hands on stuff)
- Perspectives of Death (Octavio Paz quote)
- Work day 1
- Work day 2
- Interview & on-demand writing
I would love to add a day about the parade in Mexico City. I had no idea about this. Hollywood actually inspired the new tradition. Prior to 007, there was no official parade in DF and the parades were in small towns. I feel like this could be a rich discussion.
Choice HW (this was quickly made, so it’ll have to be added to as I collect more #authres)