Friday, March 17, 2017

UBD

I am in the process of re-working my units because I want to LEAD with culture.

For many years I polled students regarding what they wanted more in class and they always said more culture.  I struggled with this because I didn't know what culture to give them beyond the "cultural Friday" bits.  It was basic!

Then I started letting #authres take the lead and I realized I was missing out.  So as I continue this journey, let me show you the forms that I've created to hold myself accountable as I plan:

unit template



I often start with interpretive tasks.  I think the model provided by ACTFL is great.  I have to admit it took me some time to accept the amount of English that it uses.  I was discussing this with a colleague when we had this ah-ha moment of the depth of our conversation about the template and about our understanding of #authres IN ENGLISH when we had this clarity fall upon us!
I try to make myself include a cultural comparison on interpretive pieces.

My rubrics for presentational.  I've adapted them from proficiency levels and other great bloggers.
written
spoken

And here's my goal for next year:  interpersonal.
I implement it, but I want to focus on more holding them accountable in the conversation.  NOT turn-taking.  Being an active participant who can start, hold and finish a conversation.

And then a unit reflection for the students.  I've changed it a bit over the units of study:






No comments:

Post a Comment