Sunday, March 5, 2017

Speaking Modes

Image result for presentational vs interpersonal speakingUsing the IPA guideline proposed by ACTFL and has really led me to acceptance of different skills in speaking modes.  Presentational mode and Interpersoal mode are quite different.

When I give time for students to prepare, they can focus on creating a clean message and ensure they use effective grammar and vocabulary.

When I ask students to converse with another speaker, they start out strong in regards to grammar and vocabulary, but those elements tend to quickly disintegrate as the focus is on the message and the fact that they don't have complete control over the conversation.

So I realized that I needed to use different rubrics.  And I need to make them aware that we focus on different elements in the different modes.  So I made a checklist for them to use.



No comments:

Post a Comment