Friday, March 20, 2020

Unit: Musica y Baile


Music and Dance
We’ve gone through multiple versions of our dance unit.  We tried to make it culturally focused on dances, but found the students’ interest and engagement was divided.  We decided to focus on creating an authentic task for what our students would really do in their lives.  
This is for our 10th graders, a level 3 Spanish class.  We teach in block schedule (80 min) and meet every other day.


They post everything..so why not have them post about their experience?  Do they have a concert experience?  Some do, some don’t…either way we’ll make a unit that gives them tons of these experiences! So we didn’t lose culture…we are focusing on pop culture and we know they love music! We're going to fill their brains with stories and experiences about concerts!  We started many days with Senor Wooly Una Cancion Original but didn't require anything with it...just wanted it to get stuck in their heads!

I am really proud of this unit.  I set up the typical IPA a bit different than normal in the fact that we began with a presentational performance.  However, this is not the beginning of the year, we know our students’ abilities and this is in their performance ability.  We used this text (I’ll admit it’s a slightly modified authentic resource…I’m always aware of our mental and time limits!) as a springboard and I kept asking about it all unit long. 

The PowerPoint for the unit

Task: I can share details about my concert experience.
We share this with the students from the very beginning and remind them on a regular basis when we unpack the daily learning target and how it connects to the big picture.
Overall Plan (* = graded work)
Day 1: Connections to music unit
Day 2: Introduction to Artists * (writing IPA)
Day 3: Justin Bieber story
Day 4: Justin Bieber story * (“vocab” focus)
Day 5: Alvaro Soler La Cintura story
Day 6: Alvaro Soler La Cintura lyrics focus
Day 7: Alvaro Soler Puebla story
Day 8: Alvaro Soler Puebla point of view * (“grammar” focus)
Day 9: Alvaro Soler Puebla Dance
Day 10: Chino y Nacho Niña Bonita Concert
Day 11: Nacho “Concert” * (Reading IPA)
Day 12: Events and emotions  
Day 13: Beyonce “Concert”
Day 14: Story Ask and Write together (to serve as “review”)
Day 15: Evaluation*
Day 16: Celebration


  
Day 1: Connections to music unit
We use this day as a brain dump day.  We see what students can recall that connects with the unit.  They can write on whiteboards. We’ve played different games.  It’s just a day to make connections.  It’s a perfect time to PQA with students (how to PQA)

Day 2: Introduction to Artists * (writing IPA)
Learning Target: Explicaré el concierto que me interesa
My agenda is posted on the board below the learning target and then the plan: 1. Administración 2. Anuncios 3. Artistas 4. Evaluacion*

1. Administracion: 
note: I spend time unpacking the learning target on a daily basis. 
We translate the learning target.  I use a pointer and students chorally respond.  This allows me to focus on morphemes (the smallest unit of language that carries meaning: often prefixes and suffixes but also –ed = past tenst, -s = plural or third person singular).
•I share the generic plan for the day
•I remind them of the overall goal
•Intermediate characteristic is to ask questions so I make sure I give an authentic opportunity for it.  I ask volunteers for questions, comments, opinions or connections for points (I wait and wait because someone will ask or comment especially if my plan includes something slightly interesting!...like who are the artists? What form are the announcements? What is the evaluation?  And they know the * means it’s a recorded grade)
2. Anuncios
Students get worksheet and walk to hall to do a gallery walk (I printed a few copies of this to avoid clustering.  I printed them in color on ledger size cardstock)
3. Artistas
Back in the room we go through the different ads.  I can ask questions and comments about the information in the ads…I can also go over the WS at this time.  But it lets us converse and take a deeper read at the articles.  I will put a copy in my room and revisit this information all unit long.
4. Evaluación (back of WS)
It’s a little early for a performance task according to your typical IPA examples, but this is not challenging and it’s authentic

Day 3: Justin Bieber story
Learning Target: Pondré el cuento en el orden correcto
1. Administración
(I hope that they ask what the concert is…then I can use more input to reference to the previous class.  I already introduced the artist options.  This one is an artist they are really familiar with…does anyone have an idea?  When someone guesses, I’ll then ask “What do you remember about this concert?” and use wait time until someone is brave enough to offer something and I can use that for more CI!!)
2. Vocabulario
We try to use enforce our structures via gestures.  So we teach them and then do a lot of movement asking students to move according to what they hear.  We decided to mostly try to reinforce all these stories through 1st person since the final task is first person
3. Concierto 
Use page 1 of WS and tell students the story and support with motions and voice
Pass out strips of paper, post vocabulary to copy (PPT p.18)
Re-tell and play strip bingo
4. Evaluación:  put the events in order (PPT p.19)

Day 4: Justin Bieber story * (“vocab” focus)
Learning Target: Identificaré las detalles del cuento *
1. Administración
2. Detalles
Gimkit
Review gestures, have students act out repeat story on WS page 2 (I got this idea from Erica Peplinski.  This is a version of her versions….it can be loud and messy but know that it’s INPUT!!)
3. Texto
Textivate practice
I didn’t have time although we planned for a blind story re-tell
4. Evaluación* quiz

Day 5: Alvaro Soler La Cintura story
Learning Target: Identificaré el problema y solución del artista.
1. Administración
2. Informacion esencial
New vocab / gestures and review old
Background info about Alvaro Soler
3. Cuento
Pic tell (you can refer to the text in textivate to see what we used)
Video
4. Evaluación (PPT p. 40)
a. draw teacher’s sentences
b. copy write sentence

Day 6: Alvaro Soler La Cintura lyrics focus
Learning Target: Identificaré los detalles de la canción.
(I hope that they ask what the concert is…then I can use more input to reference to the previous class.  I already introduced the artist options.  This one is an artist that is traveling for his concert…does anyone have an idea?  When someone guesses, I’ll then ask “What do you remember about this concert?” and use wait time until someone is brave enough to offer something and I can use that for more CI!!)

1. Administración
2. Repaso
Old gestures and new gestures
3. Concierto
Lyrics training
Analyze lyrics (PPT 48 – 50)
4. Evaluación:  TBD

Day 7: Alvaro Soler Puebla story
Learning Target: Los estudiantes y la profe describirán los eventos que occuren en la canción.
1. Administración
(I hope that they ask what the concert is…then I can use more input to reference to the previous class.  I already introduced the artist options.  This one is an artist they are familiar with…does anyone have an idea?  When someone guesses, I can say that he was in Cuba…but now he’s somewhere else..somewhere you can’t purchase tickets…anyone remember?  Yes, his home town!)
2. Alvaro Soler
Review gestures, new gestures
Give sentences and students respond thumbs up or down (info about Alvaro Soler and his experience in Cuba)
3. Concierto
I made a book with the video from Matti’s video.  She shared with me but I don’t have permission to share…you could have someone draw the story that does with the story…one of our teacher’s did a recording PPT p 53 for audio…although a did a big announcement first telling the students about this amazing thing that happened…how I tweeted Alvaro Soler to help out students and since he respects language learning, his friend Matti tweeted me back (this is slightly true – she did tweet me to give me access to her original video!!!!) and said Alvaro would be willing to record the story for me!!!  Can you guys believe this!  (white lies = more CI!!)
Read and listen (pass out books and use PPT p 53 for audio)
Watch video and listen
4. Evaluación: WS

Day 8: Alvaro Soler Puebla point of view * (“grammar” focus)
Learning Target: Identificaremos los puntos de vista de las expresiones del cuento*
(If they ask about the goal today being “identificaremos” and not “identificaré” I can ask them what they think…today I’ll let partners complete the eval!)
1. Administración
2. Cuento
Distribute the books again and teacher read today
3. Enfoco grammatical
Whiteboards:  students write who they think says
Listen to audio to confirm:  use this as pop-up grammar discussion (this was great because I got two of my students to record the audio for me)
4. Evaluación:  WS (don’t grade if too hard!!!)

Day 9: Alvaro Soler Puebla Dance
Learning Target: Describiré mi participación al concierto
1. Administración
2. Canción
Whiteboards:  write down what you hear:  review all their ideas
Repeat and WS
3. Baile
I put the video with lyrics up and teach them the “move” for each line.
Then we do it together 2x (unless they complain!)
Then I play it again but don’t model and just watch them as they demonstrate their comprehension. 
4. Evaluación: Finish the sentences


Day 10: Chino y Nacho Niña Bonita Concert
Learning Target: Describiré mi participación al concierto
(I hope that they ask what the concert is…then I can use more input to reference to the gallery walk ads.  I think someone can determine who it is…when someone says Chino y Nacho I can celebrate and ask what evidence do they have?  How do they know?  Note:  the plan says artistas. Then we can talk about what they remember..where is this concert?  The ad says radio station…it sets them up for the “concert” today!)
1. Administración
2. Artistas
Background information from teacher…I really get into who I think is more handsome and who my colleague thinks is…I ask their opinion…we just chat!
3. Concierto
Watch and ask their thoughts
Watch 2x with whiteboards and students write down their observations.
Teacher call on everyone and write all ideas on the board and providing more CI when appropriate
Stand in circle and put sentence stems on board (PPT p 92).  Toss a ball or beany baby and people report out about their experience.
I then put in partners (I have enough beany babies for all!) and repeat the activity with partner.  You can trade partners if you want and repeat.  Or partner A can choose sentence stem and partner B has to finish with an appropriate idea
4. Evaluación: write about your experience

Day 11: Nacho “Concert” * (Reading IPA)
Learning Target: Identificaré información al concierto*
(I hope that they ask who the artist is…then I can use more input to reference it’s someone we already saw…If someone volunteers their idea, I can ask why they think that…finally referencing it’s somone that is very handsome (could be Alvaro or Nacho based on what I’ve shared previously) then I can talk about how it’s from the duo after they separated.)
1. Administración
2. Artist
Review the artist
I can “clip talk” the video (PPT p 96)
Social media post:  I use my pointer which means students chorally translate
3. Evaluación: Article *

Day 12: Events and emotions  (I sort of wonder if this should go early..more generic and vocabulary building but it allows time to review the evaluation)
Learning Target: Identificaré los eventos e emociones a un concierto.
(Sometimes, students ask about the “e” instead of “y” so opportunity for pop up grammar! If they ask about who the artist/concert is I say it’s just generic because I want to talk about different emotions because they need to have ideas prepared for their evaluation pretty soon!)

1. Administración
2. Nacho:  go over the article evaluation (they can grade their own in parts 1 and 2)
3. Concierto
Distribute manipulatives and ask students to hold up: singer, dancers, lights, fan, fans
Describe the map so everyone is on same page and ask some questions for more CI
The green block on the PPT has audio for students to move
Go over them and ask more questions
4. Evaluación: WS  use the final screen

Day 13: Beyonce “Concert”
I have a deskless classroom and today when students walk in, I have stadium seating so they can see it’s different.  I also have numbers on the back of the seats and I have a disco ball!

Learning Target: Escribiré un post sobre mi experiencia a un concierto, incluyendo detalles sobre la cantante
(If they ask about the artist, I’ll ask for ideas and how they justify that it’s Beyonce…it’s our last one…the plan says “la artista” and if they ask about concert I’ll ask what the remember about her concert…the location?  In a school!  Her goal? To promote creativity and health!  The tickets?  They’re free!)
1. Administración
2. La artista
Hand out tickets (I made fake tickets in Spanish on orange paper) and we discuss the information.
We review the seating in the room..the front, the stage, the back, right, left, center, aisles
They can chat with a partner about their opinion and then share out
Then they move and I introduce the singer!
Ask for descriptions about the picture (PPT 108) (this is input in 3rd person)
Before the concert, sell some merchandise.. water, poster, tshirt
3. El Concierto
Get everyone clapping for the concert and play video
Cheer, “spill” the water on someone, get that poster in the air and be obnoxious
After…ask PQA to various students…why was your experience bad?  Why was yours good?
4. Evaluación:  write about experience

Day 14: Story Ask and Write together (to serve as “review”)
Learning Target: Escribiremos los detalles del cuento
(I hope that they ask about the learning target because this is a class evaluation, including me! If they ask about concert, I answer that I don’t know.  Maybe someone will ask why I don’t know and I can say the class will decide today!)
I base this off story ask
1. Administración
2. Detalles
Review vocab / gestures
Pose prompts and ask for ideas…talk about those ideas, gather multiple ideas….vote sometimes
3. Concierto
Use their ideas and bring an actor up and tell the story…making it up as you go!  I have no idea..but I put in baby shark audio before and somehow it naturally happened for my classes to be an appropriate concert
4. Evaluación:  write and discuss…this allows you to model grammar, details, transitions!
I write in front and after I require students to copy and turn in 

Day 15: Evaluation
1. Administracion
Distribute yesterday’s evaluation and partners can translate together!
2. Planear
Review all of our options and experiences
Allow students time to plan.  I give them 20 minutes.  At about the 15 minute mark, I hand out a small post-it note which can be their cheat sheet
3. Flipgrid
This isn’t perfect. Students are often not on target..but I love that it gets them reflecting on their production.  It makes them think about the characteristics at the different levels and it makes them aware of sustaining.  You’ve got to do it all three times, not just the first prompt (which tends to be their strongest). 

Day 16: Celebration! 
We did a goosechase.edu  I am not sure how to share it but maybe you can search for mine…it’s called Musica y Baile and I’m senoramthomas


No comments:

Post a Comment