Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Unit: Perspectivos de Inmigracion

I've decided to use this unit for a presentational goal in mind for the students.  In looking at all the authentic resources to use, I'm overwhelmed by the songs that fall into this theme and I know that I can't use them all...though I want to.  So I will bring many of them into my lessons and ultimately, students will be given a song that they need to present to their classmates.  I'm going to go a little old-school here and have my students present in a "job-fair" format (thanks for Megan Sulewski for the idea) and use *gasp* posters to present!  They can still use QR codes to incorporate technology (audio, visual, etc) but I want them to put a bit more love into their projects than I see them produce in powerpoint.  Also, I want this to be an opportunity for Q&A (interpersonal speaking) and when the audience can see everything (where a PPT advances and previous pages can be forgotten), they serve as prompts for conversation pieces.





Day 1:  Introduction to unit
I still give a list because they like it.  I love the idea of going list-less but this is where I give essential questions also.  I evaluate my unit and try to determine the true essential vocabulary needed and will have a harder time gaining through the CI/#authres
a. complete list (they usually use wordreference)
b. use schoology to do work:
lyrics training: Alvaro Soler Mismo Sol (I had them do it twice in choice and type mode to get more exposure to the vocabulary I selected)
music video duet:  El Mismo Sol with JLo and comprehension guide
article (I only used Spanish section) to do a interpretive activity in schoology
worksheet, modified article and schoology questions
c. evaulation: mini-written on-demand writing:  explain how song and unit are connected
(my reflection:  they loved the song and their writing demonstrated some critical thinking)


Day 2:  Introduction to the "faces" of immigration
a. entrada:  use http://www.un.org/es/letsfightracism/ to introduce idea of racismo, estereotipos
b. inmigrantes:
-groups receive English cards with a "story" and present the info in Spanish to class
-discuss that there's not 1 definition or classification
-take notes in graphic organizer (who, why, how travel)
notes:
1. we'll bring this idea over the next couple classes...immigrants are moms, dads, farmers, children, convicts...human beings!
2. I'm trying to expose them to coyotes but not define as it will be in their interpretive performance evaluation
c. faces of immigration:
-students receive a title and must explain their connection to immigration (ex: waitress, doctor, lawyer, construction foreman, border patrol)
-mingle and chat about who you represent
-stand in circle. teacher throws a ball of twine (hold on to your end) to someone who reports out about who they learned about. hold on to your twine and throw to another student to report out. continue.  ultimately: note how we are all connected
-return to complete graphic organizer to take notes
d. relationship:  song:  Pinche Migra by Santana
I provided lyrics and we listened.  I told them after we'd discuss meaning, tone, vocabulary, rhythm.
After listen, groups simply take a couple minutes to comment on song.  Call on victims to give an observation or comment and allow opportunity for teacher to provide more insight
(why is is bilingual, what impact does repetition have, rhythm/beat represents running, heart beating, breathing...who is doing the running, what kind of relationship is demonstrated "me necesitas")
e. evaluation:  minute chat x2:  1. people of immigration  2.  song description
partner chat for one minute as partner tallies (see "minuto de charlar")
(my reflection:  they enjoyed the song and their speaking activities demonstrated engagement with topic)


Day 3:  Introduction to the challenges of emigrating
This unit also has many choices for movies.  I opted for De Nadie in order to give them a gritty look at the difficult journey.  It's 82 minutes total...so I set it up to start a bit past the intro credits and begin at the bell and finish at the bell since we're 80 minute blocks.  As they watch, they complete a WS.






Day 4: Risks of Emigrating
a. entrada: chart
b. los inmigrantes:  review chart in groups and as whole class
round 1:  each person comment on "who"; teacher calls spokesperson for each group
round 2:  each person give 1 reason they leave; teacher calls spokesperson for each group
round 3:  each person give 2 forms of traveling; teacher calls spokesperson for each group
round 4:  group brainstorm 5 risks as everyone will be reporting out
c. los riesgos
1. stand in circle and throw a beanie bag (we used my "langosta") to identify turns
2. everyone gets a turn and teacher interject with comments, questions, more CI
3. back to desks for reading evaluation.  I used this article and the ACTFL template and focused only on vocabulary and supporting details.  I also modified the article as I needed it shorter for the time frame.  I selected the 7 risks that I wanted to use for the rest of the unit.

comments:
their daily participation sheet identified that they liked standing in the circle, throwing the "langosta" and using their Spanish in a "real conversation".  This is their perspective as I certainly saw this as presentational speaking...but if they liked it and saw it helpful, I'm happy.  It was a great opportunity to provide CI and prepare them for the reading evaluation.
as students finished and some still owed me their "frases" (their daily speaking responding to my prompt), they were using vocabulary from the article.  This is why I LOVE the ACTFL IPA template. It's so meaningful and useful and what they learn, they carry with them.

Day 5: Culture Shock
THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF THE ENTIRE YEAR!  They love this activity and it's a perfect fit.  It serves as a simulated culture shock when they feel immersion and learn assimilation strategies.
I usually invite another class to join us to get a bigger group and it serves as good advocacy for upper levels!

When students enter, they get a sticker identifying their group.
Pinkians
Blueians
Greenians
Orange
Yellow
They are now in their culture.  They will learn names that are typical in their culture, characteristics and traits of their culture and a popular game.  I ask them wholeheartedly to take on their identities as it makes a stronger lesson.

Once they've had time to practice with the notes of their culture, I remove the notes and assign a typical game.  Supplies for the various games include deck of cards, bouncy ball, box with pennies, and basket with dice, paper, pencil.  After they've had time to work with the rules, I remove the directions.

Announce:  At this time, both your Spanish and your English language are of no use as we will work in our color-land world.  You may only communicate with your culture's language.  I encourage you to take on the characteristics and traits as we continue for a rich worldly experience.

Then the fun starts!  I have a note that I show students and select students to move to a new culture where they need to introduce themselves (with their culture's greetings) and attempt to play the game.  Oh. My. Goodness.  Watching this can be hysterical if students get into it.  Some of this cultures are set-up to clash naturally as they have different traits (the non-affectionate culture vs the culture who uses physical contact to communicate).  I try to move some students multiple times if possible.

As I move students back to their home-groups and give them a couple minutes to work with lowered affective filters, I pass out a reflection sheet and then we discuss.  It's a great discussion and I think sets the tone for our unit about perspectives.

Day 6:  Assimilation
  • define and provide characteristics of assimilation
  • watch immersion short
  • discuss evidence of immersion using evidence from video (group posters, inner-outer circle)
  • on-demand writing evaluation




Day 7: Sueño Americano y La Realidad

a. entrada: I made a cloze activity with definition
b. make associations & definition about what it is (of course, that depends on the perspective again!)
c. song  A Las Tres by Enanitos Verdes
watch video, discuss what see, listen and order song
d. assign stanzas to groups to present






Day 8:  Internal Conflict

I did an interpretive evaluation based on audio Carmen
After we discuss the internal conflicts presented in the audio, we use Frida Kahlo's art to discuss this conflict more.
I post the art and students do stations before our discussion as a way to begin with inquiry. Stations work well when they are used to introduce new information.  I have 5 stations and give them 25 minutes to make their way through them.  This is a great piece of work to use with this theme.  Our students are already familiar with Frida and really like her for starters. But there's great symbolism in this piece as well.


1.  Stations w comprehension guide WS  
·         Painting Description:  match sentences & copy to WS
·         Biography: Frida:  read English and write ideas in Spanish
·         Industrialized America:  sort paper T/F and copy to WS
·         Mexico & Indigenous:  crossword:  clues in envelope at station (some key vocab on front envelope)

·         Painting Questions:  read questions at station & answer on WS
2. Group discussion to see what they learned, allow me to provide more comprehensible input
3.  Closure:  multiple choice WS

Day 9:  Bicultural
1. What is means to be bi-cultural:  work with article  (I divided it into two parts)
-1st: practice interpretive activities
-2nd:  to discuss the advice
a. groups get a section and have to read the "title" of the advice and re-word it in 3 words
b. read the advice and summarize it in 5 words
(I like this because it makes them re-read the article and collaborate and word choice.  I walk around to hear thoughts and give ideas)
c.  do a walk and share:  simply talk with the other groups to listen to the advice
d.  report back to home groups to see if together you can name the 5 ideas (prize to the group who can)
2.  Sears Commercial (thank you for this find and creation Zambombazo!!!!)
a.  watch video and do WS provided by Zachary Jones
b.  I put the individual screen shots (from Zambombazo site) on to our learning management system and made some activities with them (T/F; M/C; answer questions)
3.  Presentational speaking practice (done in our LMS as video recording)
(this was an opportunity for me to see they were mis-interpreting the video.  They thought it was two different worlds and didn't see the border as being metaphoric.  I clarified when I returned the practice rubrics and I noted to do some more review next year after the video presentation)

Day 10:  US reaction
warm-up
-Today's lesson based on authentic resources and students work in schoology (our LMS)
1.  music and student work
2.  Telemundo video and student work  (this is showing acceptance)
3. article
a. discussion (they write on-line)
b. on-demand writing evaluation





Day 11:  Orgullo
This is short because I want to start the movie Bajo La Misma Luna 1/2 way into class.
1. Trump's comments:  video and student work
2. we watch video and discuss how Coca-cola responded to Trump's attacks
3. Make their own bottle and describe Coca-cola's campaign

Day 12: Movie:  La Misma Luna
They love this movie....though it makes them a bit sad.
There's a mural that I'd consider using for an IPA, but alas there is not time for me.

Day 14: Heroes
I want to do my last modeling of the perspective of a song.

discuss coyotes and how perspective determines them heroes or villains
discuss what heroes symbolize and meaning of Superman visual
introduce song by defining corrido genre, listen to Superman es ilegal (I did a cloze activity) and the perspective of the song (even the derogatory slang that they use
allow students to research what song they want to do for their final project








FINAL PROJECT
I'm going to try this as a presentational speaking and then as interpretive reading.
Song choices are listed below.  I'll let them work with a partner if they want to do their research, but they'll present alone.
Here's the presentation plan:
1. 1/2 day to research
2. Full day to write script. Due to me by end of block so I can review and give feedback
3. Two full work days.  I've decided to go old-school based on idea from #langchat on Twitter.  Since the presentations will be in job-fair format, I don't want technology to be the distraction (plus, I never love their electronic presentations!)  Two full blocks should be enough time to fix scripts and create posters.
4. Presentation day:  I'll divide class into two groups
Group A will present 1st.
-1 minute to play a snippet of their song.
-4 minutes to present their interpretation / perspective of the song
-3 minutes for Q and A (to incorporate interpersonal)
REPEAT with a different classmate
Switch groups so Group B will present 2 x
Those will serve as practice rounds.  Then I will have students electronically record their individual presentations on our LMS so I can evaluate individually with rubric.  I loved this.

To do an interpretive evaluation, this is kind of a stretch.  But I asked all students to submit a copy of the lyrics to me.  I will re-destribute them with my questions.  I know that they've read and probably already google translated their lyrics, but now they need to use all that insight to answer my questions without references.


ð        Adhesivo: Sueño Americano
ð        Aterciopelados: Bandera
ð        Calibre 50: El Inmigrante
ð        Calle 13: Pa’l Norte
ð        Chambao: Papeles Mojados
ð        Gaby Moreno: Ave que Emigra
ð        Julieta Venegas: La Jaula de Oro
ð        Los Diablitos: Los Caminos de la Vida
ð        La Santa Cecilia: Ice El Hielo
ð        Los Tachos: Positive
ð        Manu Chao: Clandestino
ð        Tam, Tam, Go: Espaldas Mojados
ð        Los Tigres del Norte: Por Amor
ð        Los Tigres del Norte: Vivan Los Mojados
ð        Los Tigres del Norte:Tres Veces Mojado
ð        Los Tigres Del Norte: El Emigrante
ð        Luis Fonsi: Respira

Student Reflection = SUCCESS!  



No comments:

Post a Comment